Welcome to Student Voice Hub, an online environment for students, teachers and other members of the education community to connect, communicate and learn.
The Site is owned and operated by the Victorian Student Representative Council (VicSRC).
Information We Collect
We may collect personal information and/or sensitive information in the course of our activities and functions in managing and operating the Site, namely, when:
- You and/or future members set up an account to use the Site or become a member;
- You add content to the Student Voice Hub Blog and online community;
- You add content to the community awareness page or complete discussion polls on the Site.
When you become a member of the Site an account is created for you and all your activities on the Site Hub are linked to your account. In the table below we’ve detailed the information we collect about you depending on how you use the Site, and how we obtain this information.
We collect your personal information directly from you unless impracticable or unreasonable to do so.
Information we collect includes:
- Your name: We require you to provide your name when you become a member of the Site.
- Your email address: We require you to provide an email address when you become a member of the Site.
- Your display name: We require you to provide a username when you become a member of the Site. This name will be displayed when you post on forums and blogs.
- Your password: We require you to enter a password when you become a member of the Site.
- Your postcode: We require you to provide your postcode when you become a member of the Site.
- Your date of birth: We require you to provide your date of birth when you become a member of the Site. If you are under 15 years old you cannot become a member of the Student Voice Hub. Please talk to your school about accessing the Site through school membership.
- The school you attend/work at: We require you to provide the name of the school you attend or work at when you become a member of the Site.
- The year you are currently enrolled in at school: We require you to provide the year you are currently enrolled in at school when you become a member of the Site.
- Your gender: It is optional for you to provide us with this information when you become a member of the Site.
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander origin: It is optional for you to provide us with this information when you become a member of the Site.
- Your profile picture: You may choose to upload a profile picture when you become a member of the Student Voice Hub or at any time. We encourage you to upload an avatar rather than your real image. Providing this information is not required to use this service.
- Your specific activities on or connected to the studentvoicehub.org.au platform. These might include resources you have downloaded, quizzes you have completed: When you are signed into your Student Voice Hub account, the activities you engage with are automatically associated with your account.
- Any other information you voluntarily submit: The Student Voice Hub provides other opportunities to share information to us. For example, we may collect information when you respond to polls or questionnaires. Providing this information is optional on the Student Voice Hub.
Passive information Collection
Passive information we collect includes:
- Your IP address. Your IP address is a designator that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP): An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you use the Site, along with the time of your visit and the specific page(s) that you visited.
- The name of the browser you use to access studentvoicehub.org.au: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device. This includes your computer type, operating system and internet browser type and version. Collecting this information helps us to deliver the best possible version of the Site to you.
- Navigational Data: As you navigate through the Site, certain information including pages visited and pathways will be recorded.
- Information inferred about the topics you care about based on your activities on the Site: If you download certain resources, we may infer that you could be interested in other resources that are categorised in the same way. We may also send you suggestions that are relevant to your age or geographic area.
- Site administration
- Completing the user’s current activity
We collect sensitive information from you when:
- You choose to provide information regarding whether you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander origin when you become a member of the Site;
- You voluntarily submit to us sensitive information when you respond to, for example, polls or questionnaires via the Site;
- You upload a profile picture to the Site and your racial or ethnic origin or religious beliefs are apparent; and
- Where you choose to provide such sensitive information to us in the course of interacting with the site.
We will only collect sensitive information about you if you consent to our collection. All sensitive information is collected directly from you.
Where applicable, we will request your consent to collect this information when you create a new member account for use of the Site.
Personal information will not be collected by any person who is known by us to be under the age of fifteen (15) years old. Persons under fifteen (15) are encouraged to work with a teacher to access materials through the Site.
How We Use Your Information
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information are outlined below.
Purpose: To provide, personalise and improve your experience using the Site.
- To help us identify the parts of our platform which are of most interest to users.
- To personalise your experience by presenting resources, news and other offers tailored to you
Purpose: To fulfil your specific requests through the platform.
- To allow you to post on the discussion forums in a safe and productive way.
- To allow you to submit content for consideration on our community blog.
- To allow you to participate in polls posted by our organisation members.
Purpose: The Site is a child safe organisation. We use the information you provide us with to keep you safe.
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyber-attacks or attempts to commit identity theft.
Purpose: For business purposes
- For data analysis to improve the efficiency of our services.
- For audits to verify that our internal processes are functioning as intended and compliant with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements.
- For developing new features and services.
Purpose: To communicate with you via emails, notifications or other messages, consistent with any permissions you have communicated to us
- To send you information about new Student Voice Hub features and resources
Purpose: To share communications from external organisations we believe may be of interest to you.
- To send you information from our partner organisations.
Ability of Others to View Information
Publicly Available Information
The Student Voice Hub provides areas on the website where you can upload user generated content, post or provide information about yourself, communicate with other users and provide responses to online polls. This information may be shared with others and may be publicly posted on our website and other social media platforms. This information may become publicly available and may be read, collected and used by others outside of our websites. Student Voice Hub is not responsible for the conduct of others who may read, collect and use this information.
We may share your information with third parties, including law enforcement, public or governmental agencies or private litigants, if we determine that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with the law.
We may also retain, preserve or disclose your information if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary or appropriate to prevent any person from harm, to address issues of national security or other issues of public importance, to prevent or detect violations of our Terms of Service or fraud or abuse of staff that operate and manage the Site or members of the Site.
Storage and Security of Personal Information
We will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any personal information recorded, and to keep this information accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. We implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to help protect the security of your personal data.
Your password protects your member account, so we encourage you to use a unique and strong password, limit access to your computer and browser, and log out after using the Site.
If we become aware that there has been unauthorised access to or unauthorised disclosure of personal information, or loss of personal information, that is likely to result in serious harm to any of the individuals whose information is involved, and we are unable to take any remedial action that would make serious harm no longer likely, we will take steps to notify any relevant regulator and affected individuals to the extent that we are required to do so under applicable laws.
Third party disclosure
We use third party storage and/or hosting providers to assist us in our business functions and activities in operating and managing the Site. We may use these third parties to:
- Store personal or sensitive information that we receive from you when you use the Site or register for membership;
- Store personal or sensitive information that we receive from you when you complete surveys or polls on the Site;
We may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients or third parties where we rely on those recipients to store or host your personal information.
Information you provide us or which is collected by us is stored by and disclosed to third party data storage providers electronically and may be combined or linked to other information we or they hold about you.
Your personal information is not made available to external parties without your consent, save where set out above on the basis that its use or disclosure in those circumstances is directly related to the primary purpose for which we collect it.
Data Retention and Deletion
We will retain your personal information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purposes for which it was obtained.
Personal information is deleted when an account is deleted. You have the ability to delete your own account at any time.
Accessing Your Personal Information
You have the right to access, review and correct your personal information that may be recorded on the database for the Site. Information may be reviewed by contacting us via the contact details listed below. Please allow 30 days for this request to be processed.
There may be instances where we are not required to provide you with access to your personal information. For example, if it interferes with the privacy of others, if the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings, or if your request is vexatious, if the information is subject to confidentiality, or another permissible exception applies.
If we refuse your request for correction of or access to your personal information, you will be advised in writing of the grounds for refusal, and notified of available complaint mechanisms.
We are committed to providing a fair and responsive system for handling and resolving complaints. You have the right to complain, and to have your complaint handled efficiently. We will attempt to respond to, and/or action, all complaints within 30 days of lodgement.
In order to process any request for access or correction of personal information, we may need to obtain a minimum level of information from an individual including full name, date of birth and details of the request evidencing the individual’s right to access the data.
If you are seeking access to or correction of information on another person’s behalf, we will also require written authorisation from that individual. We reserve the right to refuse access to personal information under the grounds permitted by the Privacy Act.
If at any time you wish to lodge a privacy complaint in respect of the handling, use or disclosure of their personal information by us, or make a request for access to or correction of your personal information, you can do so by submitting your complaint in writing, endorsed “Privacy”, and addressing it to the contact details listed below.
If we receive a complaint from you about how we have handled your personal information, we will determine what (if any) action we should take to resolve the complaint. We will respond to your complaint within 30 days.
Policy Updates and Contacting Us
We may occasionally make changes to this policy.
When we make material changes to this policy, we will provide you with notice either via email or displaying a prominent notice on the Site.
Student Voice Hub Team
P: (03) 9267 3716
The Site is overseen by the Victorian Student Representative Council (VicSRC)
This policy was last updated on 10 July 2018